These 30 questions were asked from the English Subject in OTET 2014 Paper-2 English Question Paper. Each question carries 1 mark. Prepare these OTET Previous Year English Questions to score good rank in OTET exam.
OTET 2014 Paper-2
English Question Paper
Read the passage carefully and answer the questions (Q. Nos. 61 to 65) choosing the correct alternatives given :
Patriotism is enough during war. For one thing, people become actively conscious of their country when it is threatened. For another, since everyone or nearly everyone feels it, there is a strong collective emotion flowing through the country. But when the war is over, the country recedes from consciousness and it is rarely even at the back of the mind. The question “Am I doing any good to the country ?” doesn’t occur to the mind : and even the question is ‘What am I doing good or bad for the country ?’ occurs only rarely. A limited patriotism is better than none, but it is not enough.
61. Patriotism is quite easy during war, since :
- (A) war is the only factor for arou-sing patriotism
- (B) we become patriotic when we are in a fighting mood
- (C) patriotism is always in con-sciousness
- (D) we become conscious of it when the country is in danger
62. Another reason suggested by the author for the emergence of patriotism during the war is that :
- (A) patriotism is required during war time
- (B) we become conscious of dan-ger to ourselves during war time
- (C) patriotism becomes contageous
- (D) everyone feels that he should strive to protect others
63. When the menace of war is over :
- (A) people are generally anxious to serve the country
- (B) people don’t consider it nece- ssary to serve the country
- (C) people tend to be totally unmindful of country’s security
- (D) there is no need of people to be interested in others welfare
64. The expression, a limited patriotism, used in the passage means :
- (A) people’s indifferent attitude to-wards the country
- (B) people’s love for other countries
- (C) people’s self centeredness
- (D) people’s love for the country exhibited only during the war
65. The word ‘recedes’ in the passage means :
- (A) moves gradually away
- (B) continues
- (C) overflows
- (D) tightens
Read the poem carefully and answer the questions (Q. Nos. 66 to 70) choo-sing the correct alternatives given :
Today the world is a little more my own.
No need to remember the pain.
A blue-frocked woman caused, throwing
Words at me like pots and pans, to drain
That honey-coloured day of peace.
Why don’t you, join the others, what
A peculiar child you are !
On the lawn, in clusters sat my schoolmates
Sugarcane, they turned and laughed ;
Children are funny things, they laugh
In mirth at other’s tears, I buried
My face in the sun-warmed hedge
And smelt the flowers and the pain
66. The expression ‘honey-coloured day’ refers to the poet’s :
- (A) first day in school
- (B) birthday
- (C) picnic day
- (D) last day in school
67. What her schoolmates did not do at the picnic ?
- (A) They sat in clusters on the lawn.-
- (B) They enjoyed sipping sugarcane.
- (C) They shouted in joy at play.
- (D) They turned at the poet and laughed.
68. What really hurt the poet was :
- (A) the words of her teacher
- (B) the sunlit hedge
- (C) the flowers in the hedge
- (D) her friends’ company
69. The poet loved more.
- (A) her friends
- (B) the nature’s beauty
- (C) the teacher
- (D) the picnic
70. ‘What a peculiar child you are !’
This line expresses the speaker’s :
- (A) delight
- (B) quern
- (C) displeasure
- (D) pleasure
71. The teacher said that Master Raju had better Tennis.
- (A) play
- (B) played
- (C) to play
- (D) playing
72. Miss Rosy was brought by her uncle.
- (A) up
- (B) in
- (C) of
- (D) off
73. People say Akbar was great. The passive form of the sentence is :
Akbar is said _____great.
- (A) to be
- (B) being
- (C) have been
- (D) to have been
74. Lily studies in university.
- (A) a
- (B) an
- (C) the
- (D) no article
75. Kaveri said to me this morning,
“I am leaving for London tonight.”
The indirect speech of the above sentence is :
- (A) Kaveri told me this morning that she was leaving for London tonight.
- (B) Kaveri told me this morning that she is leaving for London tonight.
- (C) Kaveri told me that morning that she was leaving for London that night.
- (D) Kaveri told me that morning that she is leaving for London that night.
76. Which of the following is correctly punctuated ?
- (A) He said “Have a nice day Sir.”
- (B) He said, “have a nice day Sir r
- (C) He said, “Have a nice day, Sir.”
- (D) He said “Have a nice day Sir ?”
77. Sunday will be a red-letter day. My sister is getting married.
The underlined idiom means
- (A) a day of rejoicing
- (B) auspicious day
- (C) memorable day
- (D) an unfortunate day
78. My uncle has presented me with a ______watch.
- (A) gold beautiful Chinese
- (B) beautiful gold Chinese
- (C) beautiful Chinese gold
- (D) Chinese beautiful gold
79. The driver as well as the passengers______killed in the accident.
- (A) was
- (B) were
- (C) have been
- (D) none of the above
80. Roofs of the houses _____in the last cyclone.
- (A) had been blown off
- (B) was blown off
- (C) has blown off
- (D) are blown off
81. The primary aim of teaching English to the children is to develop their______
- (A) writing ability
- (B) communicative ability
- (C) reading ability
- (D) reading and writing ability
82. Knowledge of punctuation can be tested through the test of :
- (A) speaking
- (B) reading
- (C) writing
- (D) listening
83. The first skill required for learning a language is _____
- (A) reading
- (B) writing
- (C) listening
- (D) speaking
84. Which of the following doesn’t come under the subskill of speaking ?
- (A) Fluency
- (B) Clarity
- (C) Pronunciation
- (D) Skimming
85. Holistic development of the learner can be well assessed through :
- (A) month end evaluation
- (B) unit end evaluation
- (C) term end evaluation
- (D) continuous comprehensive evaluation
86. Which of the following is not a principle of communicative language teaching ?
- (A) Instruction is contextualized and meaning-based.
- (B) Learner’s interaction is maximized..
- (C) Repetition and drilling are used maximally.
- (D) Errors are valued as evidence of learning.
87. Remedial teaching is a useful ‘and effective learning strategy for helping________
- (A) the bright learners
- (B) the gifted
- (C) the dropouts
- (D) the slow learners
88. The aim of teaching prose is to___
- (A) create several emotions in the pupils
- (B) make the pupils familiar with good sounds of English
- (C) help pupils enjoy stories
- (D) cultivate the skill of using language materials
89. Grammar should be taught :
- (A) in isolation
- (B) through rules
- (C) in context
- (D) in special classes
90. Which is not a principle of teaching and learning English at elementary level as per NCF 2005 ?
- (A) Building learner’s familiarity with language in meaningful situations.
- (B) Complementing and supplementing teacher inputs.
- (C) Using existing cognitivity and linguistic resources of learning.
- (D) Putting emphasis on learning the rules of grammar.